His Majesty Sultan Haji Hassanal Bolkiah Mu'izzaddin Waddaulah ibni Al-Marhum Sultan Haji Omar 'Ali Saifuddien Sa'adul Khairi Waddien, Sultan and Yang Di-Pertuan of Brunei Darussalam and Her Majesty Duli Raja Isteri Pengiran Anak Hajah Saleha binti Al-Marhum Pengiran Pemancha Pengiran Anak Haji Mohamed Alam yesterday afternoon graced the Khatam Al-Quran Ceremony in conjunction with the Golden Jubilee Celebration of His Majesty the Sultan and Yang Di-Pertuan of Brunei Darussalam's Accession to the throne. The Khatam Al-Quran ceremony took place at Istana Nurul Iman.
One thousand five hundred participants took part in the ceremony to express the gratitude of the citizens and residents in the country towards Allah the Almighty for all the blessings that enable Brunei Darussalam to continue enjoy peace and tranquility under the wise leadership of His Majesty the Sultan and Yang Di-Pertuan of Brunei Darussalam.
Upon arrival, Their Majesties were greeted by Yang Amat Mulia Pengiran Lela Cheteria Sahibun Najabah Pengiran Anak Haji Abdul Aziz bin Pengiran Jaya Negara Pengiran Haji Abu Bakar, Yang Di-Pertua Adat Istiadat Negara; and Yang Berhormat Pehin Orang Kaya Seri Kerna Dato Seri Setia Doctor Haji Awang Abu Bakar bin Haji Apong, Minister of Home Affairs as Co-Chairmen of the Executive Committee for the Golden Jubilee Celebration of His Majesty's Accession to the Throne
Also present to greet Their Majesties were Co-Advisors of the Executive Committee for the Khatam Al-Quran Ceremony in conjunction with the Golden Jubilee Celebration of His Majesty's Accession to the Throne;
- Yang Berhormat Pehin Orang Kaya Indera Pahlawan Dato Seri Setia Awang Haji Suyoi bin Haji Osman, Minister of Education;
- Yang Berhormat Pehin Udana Khatib Dato Paduka Seri Setia Ustaz Haji Awang Badaruddin bin Pengarah Dato Paduka Haji Othman, Minister of Religious Affairs;
- Yang Berhormat Pehin Datu Seri Maharaja Dato Paduka Seri Setia Doctor Ustaz Haji Awang Abdul Aziz bin Juned, the State Mufti;
- Yang Amat Mulia Pengiran Penggawa Laila Bentara Istiadat Diraja Dalam Istana Pengiran Haji Alauddin bin Pengiran Paduka Tuan Pengiran Haji Abu Bakar, Grand Chamberlain;
- Yang Berhormat Pehin Orang Kaya Paduka Seri Utama Dato Paduka Seri Setia Haji Awang Salim bin Haji Besar, Chief Shari'e Judge;
- and Yang Berhormat Pehin Orang Kaya Shahbandar Dato Seri Setia Haji Awang Mohd Nawawi bin Pehin Orang Kaya Shahbandar Haji Awang Mohd Taha, the Private and Confidential Secretary of His Majesty the Sultan and Yang Di-Pertuan of Brunei Darussalam.
Also greeting Their Majesties were Pengiran Dato Seri Paduka Haji Bahrom bin Pengiran Haji Bahar, Deputy Minister of Education; and Dato Seri Paduka Awang Haji Abdul Mokti bin Haji Mohd Daud, Deputy Minister of Religious Affairs as Co-Chairmen of the Ceremony.
The reading of Surah Al-Fatihah was led by Yang Berhormat Pehin Datu Seri Maharaja Dato Paduka Seri Setia Doctor Ustaz Haji Awang Abdul Aziz bin Juned, State Mufti. Participants then recited a doa before reading the Quran.
Also present were:
- His Royal Highness Prince Haji Al-Muhtadee Billah, the Crown Prince and Senior Minister at the Prime Minister's Office and Her Royal Highness Paduka Seri Pengiran Anak Isteri Pengiran Anak Sarah;
- His Royal Highness Prince 'Abdul Malik and Yang Amat Mulia Pengiran Anak Isteri Pengiran Raabi'atul 'adawiyyah;
- His Royal Highness Prince 'Abdul Mateen;
- His Royal Highness Prince 'Abdul Wakeel;
- His Royal Highness Prince Haji Sufri Bolkiah and Yang Amat Mulia Pengiran Bini Hajah Faizah;
- His Royal Highness Prince Haji Jefri Bolkiah and Yang Amat Mulia Pengiran Anak Isteri Pengiran Norhayati;
- Her Royal Highness Princess Hajah Rashidah Sa'adatul Bolkiah;
- Her Royal Highness Princess Hajah Majeedah Nuurul Bolkiah;
- Her Royal Highness Princess Hajah Hafizah Sururul Bolkiah;
- Her Royal Highness Princess Ameerah Wardatul Bolkiah;
- Her Royal Highness Princess Hajah Masna; Ambassador At-Large at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade;
- Her Royal Highness Princess Hajah Amal Umi Kalthum Al-Islam; as well as other members of the Royal Family.
The ceremony continued with the reading of Surah Al-Dhuha until Surah Al-Masad by the participants led by Awangku Muhammad Adibul Amin bin Pengiran Haji Marjuki, runner-up at the 59th International Musabaqah Tilawah Al-Quran.
The Khatam Al-Quran participants comprised of 750 men and 750 women. They started to recite the Holy Verses on the 25th of September at the Jame' 'asr Hassanil Bolkiah until they completed the 30th Juzuk of the Holy Book.
The participants were made up of government officers including those from the uniform agencies, non-governmental organisations, students of higher learning institutions and graduates who are sponsored by the government to study overseas, Brunei Asset Company, community representatives, people with special-needs, as well as the rakyat and residents.
The Khatam Al-Quran is a gift from the rakyat and residents to their beloved Monarch in seeking blessings and praying to Allah the Almighty so that His Majesty will be bestowed long life, continuous health and happiness, and continue to rule Brunei Darussalam's government.
The Takhtim was presented by the women officers of the Ministry of Religious Affairs and Ministry of Education. The men officers of the Ministry of Religious Affairs and Ministry of Education recited the Tahlil. Doa Khatam was read by Awangku Muhammad Adibul Amin bin Pengiran Haji Marjuki. The Dikir and Marhaban was presented by the men officers of the Islamic Studies Department and the Ministry of Education. Doa selamat was read by the State Mufti.
His Majesty the Sultan and Yang Di-Pertuan of Brunei Darussalam then receive the Junjung Ziarah from the male participants, while Her Majesty Duli Raja Isteri receive the Junjung Ziarah from the female participants. His Royal Highness Prince Haji Al-Muhtadee Billah and Her Royal Highness Pengiran Anak Isteri Pengiran Anak Sarah also receive the Junjung Ziarah from the participants.
Such an event was in tandem with His Majesty's desire to see Brunei Darussalam to derive blessings from the Holy Quran. His Majesty, in his previous titahs, has emphasised that Brunei Darussalam will never stop from seeking blessings from Allah Subhana Wata'alla through the guidance of the Holy Quran and the Sunnah of Rasulullah Sallallahu 'Alaihi Wasallam. His Majesty hoped that the country and its people will continue to live in peace and prosperity, protected from every aspects of undesirable elements that can disturb the harmony, poison the mindset of the people and destroy their belief.
The Monarch has relentlessly reminded his rakyat and residents the importance of the Holy Quran as a guidance and reference toward living a blessed live in this world and the hereafter. The Al-Quran is a source of reference on the country's management policy that leads to preserving the path and development of the religion and Muslims' faith, so much so that it becomes the highest source of law in the country and Islam becomes the official religion.
His Majesty has also highlighted that by reading the Holy Verses means that Muslims are reciting the Zikir. According to the Monarch, reciting the Zikir by the reading the Quran is the best because it is one of the major religious activities, apart from religious obligations such as the five times prayer. At this juncture, His Majesty calls on the people, especially the Muslims, to always read the Holy Quran as a daily practice.
As a religious leader, His Majesty is fully committed and gives serious attention in upholding and raising the status of the Holy Quran. This includes the Monarch's efforts in publishing the Mushaf for Brunei Darussalam, named the Mushaf Brunei Darussalam.
The religious activity, organised by the Sectoral Committee for Religious Programs and Kesyukuran Ceremony, is to seek blessings so that the country will always be under the protection of Allah the Almighty and in response to His Majesty's Titah in making Brunei Darussalam a Zikir Nation and realising the 'Baldatun Thayyibatun Warabbun Ghafur'.
News courtesy of Radio Television Brunei
Photo courtesy of InfoFoto